Thursday, July 29, 2010

Meet Mirian


This beautiful young woman is Mirian Yesenia G. J. She is 13 years old, turning 14 on Nov. 20, 2010, and she lives in rural Guatemala. Mirian lives with her parents, Victor, a factory worker, and Reina, a homemaker. She also lives with her siblings: brothers Victor, 12; Sergio, 9; and Armando, 5; and sisters Monica, 20; and Violeta, 18. The 8 members of the family survive on an income of just $78 a month.
Mirian and her family live in a home with concrete block walls, a corrugated metal roof, and a concrete floor. They cook on a portable gas stove, sleep in metal beds, and have running water in their home. They use regulated electricity.
Mirian attends school (which is only free through the 6th grade in Guatemala). She enjoys grammar and math. She also likes playing basketball and playing with dolls. Her talents include drawing and painting, and her chores include running errands.
I began sponsoring Mirian because I wanted to sponsor a child in Guatemala, and I also recently received some excellent news about my work situation. To make a long story short, I'm going to be switching employers and receiving a 40-50% pay increase! So, I decided to share my excellent fortune with two special girls- Mirian, and a young lady from the Dominican Republic named Daneisi, whom I'll talk more about in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment