Monday, July 5, 2010

First letter to Jazmin

I wrote a letter to Jazmin using CI's website. They have a cool feature where you can log into your account and write an online letter to your sponsored child. The letter is printed, translated and sent to the child's field office. It's a very useful tool, although I think I will still send "regular" letters, because it's so fun to open a piece of real mail from a friend.
Anyway, here's what I wrote to Jazmin:
Dear Jazmin-
Hello! My name is Nicole [lastname] and I am your new sponsor! I am very happy to be your sponsor. I think we have a lot in common. Like you, I also love soccer. I am very excited that it's World Cup time!
I hope that you and your family are well. I am very well and so is my family.
Here is some more about me: I live with my husband, Adam, in Maryland, not far from Washington, DC, the capitol of the USA. We live together with no children. It's just us, our two cats, and guinea pig, our pets. I have parents and a brother, and Adam has a mother and sister, but they don't live with us.
My favorite colors are blue and orange, my favorite sport is soccer and my favorite season is summer. My favorite subject in school was English. I love to read and write.
What grade are you in at school? I hope you enjoy school. It's very important for your future. With an education, you can do anything you can dream of!
Lovingly, your sponsor, Nicole [lastname]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got a little cheesy with the stuff about education, I think, but Jazmin is right at the age where a lot of Ecuadorian children drop out of school, so I wanted to give her a little encouragement to keep at her studies. I don't know what kind of messages she gets at home- sadly, a lot of children drop out to help make money to support their families. I hope her family is not in that situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment