Monday, November 1, 2010

Joanne's Situation

Along with her education report, which I'll also share, I recently received some good news about Joanne in regards to her living situation. When I sponsored Joanne, she was listed as living in an orphanage. To be honest, this is what made me want to sponsor her. I wanted Joanne to know that no matter what, there was someone- her sponsor- who cared about her very much. After sponsoring her, I requested an education report and more information on Joanne's living situation. I just received the reply, and the news is good! Joanne has been reunited with her family! She's living with her mother, stepfather, and siblings. Joanne's mother is a "plain housekeeper" and also "sometimes she is busy in packing of candies which gives extra income to the family." Joanne's stepfather runs the small store- the family's main source of income.
Then there was this confusing paragraph: "Joanne sometimes visits and sleeps in her maternal auntie's house which is their neighbor and she [Joanne's mother] added that Joanne is in her custody." So I'm not sure if Joanne is in the aunt's legal custody, and spends time with her sometimes, but mainly lives with her mother, or...I don't even know. I'm not going to ask for further clarification because it's kind of none of my business, and also I think CI has better ways to use their time and resources.
Anyway, here is Joanne's education report. Joanne attends Tabaco National High School which has more than 5400 students. The school serves 34 sections, from first year to fourth year. The school has less than 100 classrooms and offers complete electric and water facilities. There is a library, computer room, canteen, and recreational area. Joanne is in the first year of high school.
Joanne takes public transportation to school- in her case, a boat! I think that's so cool. I walked to high school...Joanne takes a boat! It takes her about 30 minutes to get to school.
Joanne's grades are good and her progress is normal. She is not receiving any special help with schoolwork at this time. Through CI, she's received school supplies and GIK books. (I don't know what those are. I assume some kind of text book.) Joanne especially likes math class. She plans to finish secondary school and take up a nursing course of study. She wants to one day be able to offer financial support to her parents and siblings.
All in all, very good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment