Saturday, November 27, 2010

Javiera's News

In Javiera's second letter to me, I learned some awful news: she told me that her younger brother had just died of leukemia. Worried about her well-being, I send an inquiry to CI asking them to check on Javiera and her family, and asking for a little more information about Javiera's living situation in general. I also knew that Javiera's mother has abandoned the family, and it just seemed like so much for a young girl to be going through. I wanted to make sure Javiera was okay. I also sent her a special letter telling her how sorry I was about her brother, asking her if she'd like to talk about him, telling her that whatever she was feeling was okay, etc.
Here is what I received back from CI a few weeks ago regarding Javiera's situation:
I learned that Javiera's brother, Cristobel, passed away on July 18, 2010. Javiera has not seen her mother since before Cristobel got sick. The mother wasn't living with the family even then; she was just visiting sometimes, but she stopped visiting when Cristobel became sick. Javiera considers her grandmother to be her mother. A step-mother, Javiera's father's wife, is also present. The step-mother moved into the home after Cristobel passed away.
After Cristobel's death, Javiera was seen by the school psychiatrist, who determined that Javiera is well, but of course extremely sad. Javiera and Cristobel were very close- she is 11 and he was 9- and losing such a close family member might cause her to have some problems at school. (Academic, not behavioral.) Javiera is receiving help with the subjects she is struggling in- mostly math.
So, overall, Javiera is all right. She's grieving, of course, but on a basic level she's going to be okay. I was worried about her, but I'm glad to learn that she did see the school psychiatrist. I was concerned that Javiera didn't have much support in this difficult time, but I can see that she has the support of her extended family. I am much relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment