Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Meet Tatiana!



Well, I thought I would not be adding any children to my little "family" of sponsored kids, at least not until one of my kids graduated or left the program...but we all know how it goes. There's that one (or two, or...) kid you can't stop thinking about. In my case, there were two girls from Colombia that I couldn't get out of my head: Yonelvis and Tatiana. Last Friday, I was looking on the CI site as I always do, to "check on" them, and saw that Yonelvis had been sponsored! But Tatiana was still up on the site. I thought, what am I waiting for? And I decided to sponsor her. Given the long weekend, her info just showed up on my CI profile now. So here's all about Tatiana!
Tatiana is twelve years old and is from Cartagena, Colombia. Her birthday is December 25, 1997, so she'll turn thirteen this Christmas! How special! She stands 4'2" tall and weighs 53 lbs.

The report lists the family income is $75/month. The report also says that Tatiana lives with her parents and four siblings. It lists her mother, Delfina, a homemaker, but then for her father, his name is listed as "Desconocido", which means "unknown". So apparently her biological father is unknown, but perhaps there is a step-father or mother's boyfriend/partner in the home as well. Her four siblings are all brothers! They are: Miguel, 14; Omar, 14; Carlos, 12; and Luis Eduardo, 10. A CI employee read my LiftOne blog entry about Tatiana and noticed that Tatiana and Carlos have birthdays that are only 17 days apart, so they are going to look into that for me. There may be some error in the information. I suppose they also could be half-siblings related by father...so far, Tatiana's a bit mysterious!

As for the home, it consists of one multi-use room. Walls are of wood, roof is corrugated metal, and the floor is dirt. Tatiana sleeps on a wooden bed, and cooking is done on a portable gas stove. Water is from a neighbor's faucet, and electricity is unregulated use. The sanitary facility is an open field.

Tatiana does attend school, thankfully, where her favorite subjects are math and reading. She also likes drawing and playing with dolls. At home her chores are washing dishes. She speaks Spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment