Monday, September 27, 2010

Meet Joanne Uy!

Well, I now have TWO more sponsored children, because I can't resist these kids and I also can't think of a better use for my extra money. My needs are taken care of- I might as well use the excess to help take care of some other people's needs!
This is Joanne Uy. (Uy is her middle name, not her last name, just FYI.) She is 12 years old and lives in Tabaco, Phillipines. Her birthday is October 28, 1997. Joanne is 4'8" tall and weighs 77 lbs. She attends school, where she likes math class. Her favorite pastime is playing soccer, and she's talented at singing, dancing, and drawing. Her chores include sweeping and running errands.
I chose to sponsor Joanne because she lives in an orphanage. She's the only CI kid I've seen that lives in an orphanage (although I know for a fact there are others.) This is really a personal thing for me- my mother grew up in an orphanage. I just couldn't pass Joanne up.
Joanne's father, Santos, a cook, is absent for unknown reasons. Her mother, Jennifer, is a housekeeper. The report lists the monthly income for the family at $78. Joanne has two younger sisters: Jennylyn, 5; and Sunshine, 7.
The home that Joanne lives in consists of one multi-use room. Floor is concrete, walls are concrete block, and the roof is corrugated metal. There is a coal stove for cooking, water is taken from a private pump, and electricity is available, as is a toilet. Joanne has a bed to sleep in as well.
The orphanage that Joanne lives in probably isn't like the orphanage my mother grew up in. The place my mom grew up in was a children's home for lots of children. It wasn't hellish, but it was definitely an institution in the literal sense of the word. Joanne probably lives in a smaller orphanage, which is why the description of the home she lives in sounds so like, well, a regular home. She may be taken care of by a single adult or a couple, but it's probably not a large building that houses dozens of children, with lots of employees, a dining hall, and rows of beds in dormitories like you see in the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment