Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Samuel's CP Letter- August 2010

Since I received FOUR letters from sponsored children on Monday, I decided to "ration" them and only open one a day. That way the excitement would last longer! Yesterday I opened a letter from Samuel. (I got two from him on Monday.) The letter turned out to be his CP letter- a response to the first letter I wrote to him when I began sponsoring him at the end of June. He wrote in English, with very nice printing. Here is what Samuel had to say:
"Dear Ms. Nicole,
How are you? I hope that you and your family are in good condition always. My name is Samuel J---- but my family and my friends call me Chao as my nick name. I'm fourteen years old and I'm in second year High School as of now. My parents are already pass away, from now on our older brothers are taking care of us, helping us in our daily needs and in our studies. I have six sisters and three brothers. I live here in province of Albay near at the famous Mayon Volcano.
I love to sing and dance, I also love painting and put decorations in our school and in our house. Most of all I love gardening, I plant more flowering plants and vegetables. I have lot of friends here and we are always together walking going to school. I wake-up at four a.m. [!!] so that I prepare all the things that I need in my studies. I also love reading books at night and study my lessons. I am happy to have you as my new sponsor.
Thank you and God Bless you always! Your sponsored child, Samuel J----"

It's a wonderful letter, full of interesting little details about his daily life. That's the stuff I really like to learn- stuff like that he gets up at 4am to get ready for school, and that his nickname is Chao. He says he is 14, but his family report says he's 13- I think I believe him over the report. It's easy to get a detail like birth year wrong on a report, but most people do know how old they are, I think! Also, his family report lists all six of his sisters, but only one brother. I'm assuming the two "missing" brothers are adults. Listed brother is 22, other siblings are 17-27, with some younger ones too.
His family report also says that his parents are deceased, which I was kind of surprised to see him mention so candidly. I certainly didn't ask about his parents in my welcome letter, because I was aware they were no longer alive.
He sounds like a talented, happy, fun young man and I am glad to be getting to know him!

No comments:

Post a Comment