Monday, August 23, 2010

Samuel's Education Report

A few days ago I received Samuel's Education Report. (Samuel is my 13-year-old boy from Legazpi, Philippines.) I was very curious about how he was doing in school because poor children are especially at risk for dropping out, and the risk only increases as the child gets older. I was afraid that now that Samuel's nearly 14, he would have to quit school to work and help support his family. The Education Report helped ease my mind a little.
Samuel is in his second year of high school. He attends a public secondary school that has five concrete classrooms. The school offers year levels from first year to fourth year with two to three sections per year. About 500 students are enrolled; 60% of them are sponsored children.
It takes Samuel 20 minutes to walk to school or 10 minutes to take public transportation.
As for his grades, they are fair, and his progress in school is average. He's not receiving any special help with schoolwork, and the CI project gives him assistance in the form of school supplies. High school education in a public school doesn't require a tuition fee, so at least we don't have to be concerned about that.
Lastly, Samuel plans to continue his education! Hurrah! I hope to see him at least graduate from high school. Barring something really unfortunate happening to me (financially, I mean), I plan on sponsoring him until he graduates or leaves the program. I think it will be wonderful to see him grow and learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment