Monday, August 16, 2010

Samuel's Special Needs Report...and a BONUS EXCITING THING!

Last week I received Samuel's Special Needs Report, and my week was so busy with crazy things happening at work. (Seriously. Do I have a sign on my back that says "Please come act weird at me?") Anyway, I forgot all about sharing it. Samuel and his family's special needs, at this time, are clothing, shoes, groceries, and a sack of rice. The total cost for this will be $100.
If the Special Bonus Exciting Thing hadn't also happened last week, I would probably be sending the $100 to the Philippines for Samuel's SNG on payday. But, near the end of last week I received some VERY happy news.
Elizabeth, my CI-sponsored child from Zambia, can be enrolled in school! Her family/guardian cannot afford to send her on just the family's $70/month income, so what is needed is a $135.00 SNG from me, to cover school fees, uniform and sweater, gym clothes, shoes and socks, and school supplies. So I am going to send Elizabeth's Special Needs gift as soon as possible- it will take me a couple of paychecks to save up the $135, which works better for me than paying it all in one big chunk. After that I'll begin to work on Samuel's.
I am so happy that Elizabeth will soon be able to attend school! She'll be enrolled in nursery school- "regular" school in Zambia doesn't start until age 7. So, instead of being behind as I first feared when I learned she was 5 and not yet attending school, this will actually give her a bit of a leg up compared to some of her peers. Not that everything needs to be a big competition, but it's so nice to know she'll have that little bit of extra educational support.

No comments:

Post a Comment