Tuesday, August 3, 2010

CI mail coming out my ears!

This past Saturday, I checked the mail, like I always do, hoping for something from Children International. And boy, did I get it! On Saturday I received: sponsorship packets, photos, and detailed reports on Jesus and Henry, a letter from Elizabeth's agency director in Zambia, TWO letters (one from Egda, one from Jazmin, both in Guayaquil, Ecuador), and Padmashree's Special Needs and Education Reports. I was overjoyed. My 23-year-old stepdaughter was in the room when I came in holding all my mail, and I showed her the letters I received, as well as photos of all my sponsored kids, and told her all about sponsorship and the benefits the children receive. She's actually now interested in sponsoring a child through Children International! Right now she's unemployed (Just completed her Master's in Education and is interviewing for jobs), but she says that once she gets a job and has an income she's going to look into it! Yay!

Everything I received was so exciting, it's hard to point to one thing and say "There. That was the best thing I got." The letters from Jazmin and Egda are lovely, and I will treasure them, but I think what I'm most pleased about is Padmashree's Education Report.
I learned that Padmashree attends a 16-room school with 900 other students. She walks to school, which takes her 10 minutes- not bad, unless there's a monsoon, I suppose. Then, not so pleasant. Padmashree's grades are Good and her progress in school is Average. She seems to be right on target, educationally- she's about to turn 12 years old and in Class VII. Her favorite subject is geography. (I think that's funny, because I was my middle school's Geography Bee second prize winner for two years in a row when I was her age!) And, in regards to her future, Padmashree plans to continue on in school and complete through Class XII. (12th Grade). I really hope she is able to achieve this goal. Both of her older sisters, Bonoshree (13) and Tanushree (15) are still in school, so that's a good sign for Padmashree's future!

And how do I know her siblings are still in school? Because I also received the Special Needs report, and these are the things the family is most in need of: Tuitions (private tutoring) for all three girls for the school term October 2010-January 2011, school uniforms for all 3 girls, and sport shoes for the sisters. These items will cost just $100!

I am going to send the SNG on Friday, as soon as I get paid. Of course I have other bills and things to take care of, but I budgeted for SNGs of around $100 several times a year- basically almost each month. I am really impressed with how far money stretches in India. And I cringe when I look back on my past and think of some of the useless things I spent $100 on! I'm so happy that I am able to provide these girls with educational support. And I'm even happier that the family is supportive of their girls' education!

No comments:

Post a Comment