Monday, June 28, 2010

Samuel


The nice people at Children International have already added Samuel to my online account, which means that I don't have to wait for the sponsorship packet to come in the mail, but can check out his family report online!
I had some things wrong in the previous post: Samuel doesn't have 5 siblings- he has SEVEN. Also, his favorite pastimes are playing with friends and siblings, and playing with jacks, as well as dancing and singing. I don't know where I got sports from.
Samuel's parents are both deceased. I asked for more information about Samuel's living situation, but CI wasn't able to give it to me. I know he lives with his seven siblings- his brother Anthony, 22, and six sisters: Teresita, 27; Melissa, 20; Marife, 17; Angela, 15; Teresa, 11; and Glecie M, 10. I don't know if any other adults live in the house, or if it's just the siblings on their own. I do know the family income is only $65 a month- that works out to just over $8 per person, per month. Less, if there are more family members living in the household that I don't know about.
The home is a single room, with corrugated metal walls and roof. The floor is concrete, and the floor (with a mat) is where Samuel sleeps. There are two beds in the home but he doesn't use either of them. They use a private well for water, a latrine for sanitation, and electricity is available, but the family can't afford it.
Samuel goes to school- I don't know what grade he's in yet- but his favorite subjects are art and languages.
This past weekend I picked up a bunch of postcards with scenes of Washington, DC on them. (I live in a suburb of DC). I'm going to send one to each of my sponsored kids- I think they'll like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment